Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Living in the 21st Century


What are 21st-century skills? This week for class, we had to explore the website for The Partnership for 21st Century Skills and give our own evaluation of the information presented.  This partnership is pushing to educate every student on the 21st century skills we need in order to compete in a global economy.  For me, as a math teacher, I focused in on the framework and concept mapping for mathematics skills. If you feel like reading along- Click HERE!

The mathematic skills included were; creativity and innovation, critical thinking and problem solving, communication and collaboration, information literacy, media literacy, information/communication/technology literacy, flexibility and adaptability, initiative and self-direction, social and cross-cultural skills, productivity and accountability, and finally, leadership and responsibility. Most of these skills, I already teach in my classroom, but I was made aware of some concepts and skills that I need to practice more with my students.

The Partnership for 21st Century Skills (P21) has its own initiative here in Ohio and it looks to be a good thing.  The only issue I have with the initiative is the “21st Century Assessments” section of the plan.  The fifth strategy (about assessment) talks about the international effort to modernize assessment.  I agree with the idea that assessment needs to become something new, and more modern.  Expecting every student to be assessed the same way is a complete contradiction to their individual learning styles.  Unfortunately, I have a hard time believing that the U.S. will make the right decision in regards to assessment.  Education has been on a downhill slope for quite a while and it seems that new standardized assessments are coming out every few years; the previous test eliminated because it set the bar too low for the students. 

The expectations of this program are not overwhelming or unrealistic and I think these skills are what students need to be focusing on anyway.  In math, there are so many more important things to learn than finding the square root of a number or factoring a polynomial.  Students need to learn to prioritize, and evaluate their work; they need to understand data and have the ability to reason and articulate their own thoughts.  The 21st century is a fast-moving, technology-saturated place and students need to feel prepared for the real world before they leave high school.


Feel free to leave me your thoughts! If you're a teacher, definitely check out the website... it's worth the visit.

-Kate

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kate

    I agree about the assessments in the US. My school district is implementing a new assessment called PARRC next year. This assessment is suppose to push rigor and critical thinking skills for our students. However, students do learn in their own learning style and I'm not sure this new assessment will take their learning styles into consideration. Furthermore, I agree with your statement about the expectations of this program are not overwhelming or unrealistic.

    Ella Owoundi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I am currently filling a short leave of absence for a high school Algebra 1 and 2 teacher (I am actually qualified K6). Every day the students ask why they need to learn the day’s lesson – when will they ever use this in real life? Your last paragraph discussing that there is a lot more to math than simply what they see or do in the classroom is exactly right. You also mentioned how P21 wishes to modernize assessment. As an educator, we are always being told to provide a variety of assessments in order to assess students’ real knowledge. Yet, state testing is still a one-test-fits-all. Hopefully, assessment will be modernized soon.

    I do have a technological question. I tried to insert several links into my blog (I’m on BlogSpot as well), but the link did not want to show up on the post. I clicked the “link” button inside the text box for the post. Did you do something different? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine-
      I clicked the "link" button, put the URL in it's place and then named the link something like "click HERE", finally, there's a little box that says to open in a new window and I clicked that too.
      Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thanks!! I'll try it again soon :)

      Delete
  3. Kate,
    You make great points in your post! I agree with you in your assessment statement that "Expecting every student to be assessed the same way is a complete contradiction to their individual learning styles." I teach students with learning disabilities and they have IEP's (Individualized Education Plans) and they are to be taught according to their learning levels. However, as teachers differentiate their teaching to these students, the government states that these students need to take the same state exam (Keystone Exams here in Pa.) as students without disabilities! Double standard ya think??!! You hit the nail on the head with your comments! You also make a great point that Christine mentions about math---I agree as I'm a math teacher!

    ReplyDelete